So in love...

So in love...

Our Furbaby

Our Furbaby
Here's Hercules (aka Bear)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

R.I.P. Grandma

My Grandma passed away on Tuesday, at the age of 93. I can only hope to live that many years and to be half the woman that she was! She was a wonderful Grandma and role model. I hope to think that my hard-working nature and maybe my green thumb came from her. And my love of baking! In honor of her life and all my fond memories of her, here are some of my favorite "Grandma" moments from my life:

Playing card games with her and my sister at her house. Our favorites were Old Maid and Go Fish. She always ended up being the "old maid." I wonder if she let us win all those times :)

Eating cream cheese and crackers in front of her tv, watching Golden Girls and Married with Children.

Being scared out of my mind watching Michael Jackson's Thriller video for the first time at her house. I would run into the bedroom screaming!

Sleepovers! My Care Bears sleeping bag, the mickey mouse radio that played "it's a small world", my hello kitty toothbrush. Staying up "late" and waking up early to play.

Her baking, especially her cream cheese pound cake. I would specially request it for my birthday and it would never disappoint!

Her greeting cards: She would always label the girl on the card "Lauren" and the dog "Hercules."

Always having leftovers from her house. We would joke about her wrapping techniques: rubber bands, toothpicks, an entire roll of saran wrap....but nothing tasted better the next day after excavating the food from its wrapping!

Her tomato plants and garden. When I smell the vine of a tomato, it brings me right back to Grandma's backyard.

Gossip! We could always count on Grandma to tell us all the neighborhood goings-on. She loved to talk and tell stories!

Easter: she would hide chocolates (I think she made them) all over her house and my sister and I would go on a scavenger hunt to find them.

Halloween: Trick-or-Treating on her street after school

Thanksgiving: Always catching Santa Claus at the end of the Macy's Parade on her TV before starting our big feast!

Pets: She reluctantly pet-sit for our guinea pig, Tara, who she called a "rat." But boy did she love her "grandson" Hercules! And he loved her. She would always give him treats and he knew how to get more out of her. He would recognize her street at we pulled in and get so excited to see his "great grandma."

There are so many more wonderful memories that will make her live on in my heart forever. Rest in peace, Grandma, and watch over all of us. We'll never forget you.

1 comment:

  1. bless her soul!!! she was a special lady and i'm glad that she was part of my life!!looking forward to the cream cheese pound cake in her honor. R.I.P. grandma!!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger